Saturday, November 12, 2011

Seek Ye Out of the Best [Computer Graphics] Books

So I'm still not quite to the coding phase....that could be a while. But I have been researching and reading everything I can about the rendering pipeline. For the most part, online resources have been mediocre at best. But I haven't found any that explain concepts in a context relevant to me.

I got a hold of two of the professors at Brigham Young University who teach CS455-Computer Graphics and asked for their advice. One sent me some pertinent lectures from this portion of the class. The other referred me to the textbook he uses for his class, Computer Graphics (Second Edition) by Donald Hearn and M. Pauline Baker. I went and checked this book out from the library. It's pretty old (1994), but there's some relevant stuff in there. I've also come across the book called Physically Based Rendering (Second Edition) From Theory to Implementation by Matt Pharr and Greg Humphreys. I've only read part of the first chapter but this book looks promising.

Ready....set....READ!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, looks like a lot of reading! Please keep me updated as you go.
    Seeing as I know nothing about writing my own raytracer (yet) please disregard my suggestions, but I think it'd be cool if you write it to read from the .rib format:

    https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=https://renderman.pixar.com/products/rispec/rispec_pdf/RISpec3_2.pdf&pli=1

    See section D.

    ReplyDelete